Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's wonderful to have Ruthann with me after 6 weeks on my own.  We have enjoyed relatively warmer weather since she arrived.  The Sunday before while talking on the phone with Mom I went outside to enjoy the sun on the snow (and to get better reception on my cell phone) and I had to run back inside to grab my camera.  

I am beginning to appreciate why Eskimos have so many words for snow. There are several things that I have not seen before where I lack the vocabulary to describe. One of the more spectacular (at least to me) is how snow accumulates in quantity and the effects that has on the scene.  I noticed the effect of plowed snow in creating what I call "glaciers" since the have such a harsh and tumbled texture ... and of course in my previous experience that would be the end of the snow since it would warm up and the pile would melt.  

But what happens when more snow falls, not just a little, and not just once but repeatedly?  With the sun adding it's effect, I call these "snow dunes."



The pristine and gentle slopes of fresh fallen snow with the sun highlighting the contours is really an unusual scene for those of us from more moderate climates.  And of course the variations in lighting and color are really interesting with the sun setting.

I especially liked the sun through the trees and the variations in color and texture of the snow in this shot

2 comments:

  1. really beautiful shots, Dad! I sometimes feel like I have lots of words for rain living in the pacific northwest. At least, I identify lots of different kinds of rain. And the variety of cloudy days, too. Bright cloudy, for example. :)

    And take more pictures - I'd love to see more of the cool places you and Mom visit!! Please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. George h eucker, my grandfather any reletions

    ReplyDelete